Sunday, February 20, 2011

I love weddings...

So tonight I went to [what we thought was] an engagement party with my sweet MIL. I was excited to go because it was in the roundhouse and I hadn't been back to the roundhouse since my wedding. It was strange walking in and notice the different atmosphere. Most of the things were the same, the tables were set up the same way, they had a bar, and a long row of tables full of yummy food in the back. But this was a night for some other "bride to be". Funny twist to this party was that they ended up getting married! They surprised EVERYONE when she walked out in a white dress and they both meet the preacher and said some vows! It was sweet and was very much the way of the bride. Now my mother would have pitched a fit if that had happened...I wouldn't have agreed to it anyways.
But this night got me thinking about my wedding.  I miss the parties and showers but I do NOT miss the planning. That was the most stressful part. I didn't want to forget to do something. I didn't want to miss an idea...but then towards the end, I started to realize that I couldn't see every picture or couldn't hear about every idea. I received some wonderful advice from a sweet lady, Mrs. Hannah Alderson about weddings..."Pick a day and time and then anything that happens or doesn't happen after that point is out of your control and won't get done and you can't change it." At the time she told me, sometime in august I thought "nah, I'll get it all done. Don't worry"...Little did I know, I wouldn't get it all done. But at 12pm on Friday, If it didn't happen, it wasn't getting done. After that point, I sat back and relaxed and focused on making memories of this wonderful weekend ahead.

There were things that did go wrong...
First- When we got to the church that morning, I was locked out of the bride's room. My mother had to turn around and go back home to find the key. You're thinking, well, that wouldn't be horrible. No, not really but my videographer could only film one person at a time getting ready that way so it was me or the girls. So I started getting ready in the parlor and turns out the video and photography turned out great with the light.

Second- I was trying to finish getting ready so I could go see Kyle and all I had left was to put on my grandmother's pearls. Now, I do have both my grandmother's sets of pearls. As I went to hook the pearls, they just fell apart. It was all I could do to walk out of the room, my stomach hit the floor. Thank goodness I had a "back up" pair.

Third- This one I didn't know about until tonight actually. The stadium that went on top of Kyle's cake wasn't just a stadium. It had a base. So when our wonderful cake lady first saw it in the box, she didn't notice the base on the bottom of the stadium. It wasn't until the cakes were almost finished and ready to be assembled did she notice the base. So our original plan for Kyle's cake was to be a tiered cake with the stadium on top...as you saw, it was two separate cakes...I never even noticed until Teresa told me tonight. Of course, an elephant could have been standing on top of the cake before i realized what was going on that day.

Fourth- I had bought my garters just a few days before the wedding, an Alabama one and a houndstooth one to throw...it wasn't until right before we were about to throw them that I realized I didn't even wear them that day...ha!

Lastly- The two flower arrangements that were at the alter of the church were to go to the roundhouse and be used as some more decoration on the food table and the entrance to the roundhouse...never made it out of the church- both vases shattered on the way out of the church. That's what you get for getting cheap glassware?

However, none of those things bothered me. November 20, 2010 was the happiest day of my life and nothing was going to rain on my parade. I was so happy and everything fell in to place. I knew that something was going to happen, I knew that the entire day couldn't have gone on without a hitch so in a way I was prepared.

Some of the happiest moments-

Getting to see Kyle for the first time!

Having the best time with my girls!

And having our families come together.

Of course, it wouldn't have been the same if I didn't have the videos to remember:



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment