Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring, Spring, Spring!

So I think after today's weather and Monday being the actual first day of spring, we can start refering to "this" as spring. I love spring. April is my favorite month...(next to June of course). I love to watch everything come to life after winter's cold. I love gardening...it's in my blood. I come from a long list of farmers...while my family hertiage doesn't come with a trust fund, if we were to ever degress back to farming...better believe me or my family wouldn't starve. All my life I've been around plants, gardening, veggies...something coming from the ground. My grandparents both had veggie gardens...I use to spend a week with my mom's parents (Grandmother and Granddaddy) in the summer and I would be outside from dusk till dawn. If I wasn't playign in the corn stalks, I was making soups and stews with the veggies Grandmother deamed "bad".
So last year, Kyle let me run a little bit in our soon to be house together. We planted a few things and learned more lessons about gardening than we had expected. So this year, we're older and wise and trying it again.

Our first big project is to edge our front flower beds with stones and build up the flower bed just a little bit. Also when the builder planted the bushes in the front bed...I don't know that he really thought it through...some of the bigger bushes are in the front with the smaller little ones in the back...so we would like to switch a few things there.
This is the look we're going for...key word..."going"

So depending on how far we get Saturday kind of depends on what flowers and shurbs go in the bed...that might just have to be a project for the next weekend.

I want to see what kind of room we are working with and do some research as to what does best in sun/shade/wet/dry conditions.
I'm going for something out a southern living magizine so i'm doing a lot of reading!

I would love to hear your ideas about what you have found that works,tips, tricks...
What are some of your favorite flowers or shrubs for a flower bed?!

Hopefully I'll post before and after pictures if i'm happy with what happens this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I love spring too!!!! I think you came really close to your vision for your flowerbeds!!!

    ReplyDelete