Sunday, May 1, 2011

When God gives you lemons, it generally makes the best tasting lemonade...

I generally like to keep things on this blog happy and try not to involve politics or world news but generally those things don't directly effect me...but when they do...

April 27, 2011 will have a lasting impression on my mind...in some ways I wish we would have just jumped over Wednesday and acted like it had never happened. But we can't...and we have to face things head on...I guess one might call that reality. Most of you are aware of the tornadoes that left an everlasting mark on my state. Luckily, our house and my parents house are fine and escaped with no damage. Many areas around us were not so fortunate. Many of the places are unrecognizable and lay in piles of rubble and wood.

My college town was also hit by a massive F5 tornado...places that  I normally went to in Tuscaloosa are now piles of wood and nothingness...Thankfully all my friends who are down there are safe just lost homes and cars...replaceable things. There are pictures from places that were once so familiar to me are now unrecognizable.
My heart is heavy with "What ifs...". As a college student you think you're invincible...that nothing bad will ever happen to you...I remember we would blow storms off all the time in Ttown and head the gym, the store...or the mall.

This past weekend, Kyle and I should have been in Tuscaloosa celebrating Ken's retirement and the next weekend, Jenn's graduation...not anymore...At a time in the semester when you are preparing to close a chapter in your life and open up a new one with graduation, many are praying, crying, asking "Why me?", trying to figure out how to say goodbye to friends and a city under these kinds of circumstances.

It's painful to watch from 200 miles away...it's painful to watch from 20 miles away. This morning was the first time I was able to see my parents  since Wednesday's storms because the Harvest area was closed off to outsiders.

It's the little things in life...it's the moments, the memories...that matter the most.
It's sitting in church this morning with the people who matter the most in my life, holding hands, praying for the victims and being very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment