Monday, May 2, 2011

And when it was dark...It was very very dark.

So after the power went out Wednesday, Kyle and I thought that things wouldn't be so bad. Actually, they weren't. We actually had fun...now I'm sure six days in we would have a different attitude. One can only eat off the grill so much before you start craving something from the oven. The funniest thing about all this was the habits we had walking into rooms...we would still continue to walk into rooms, flip the switch and be shocked when the light wouldn't flood the room! For those of you who don't know, our power actually came back on early Friday morning (will tell that story in a bit). But it was nice to be off work and be able to enjoy a beautiful day. I walked through the neighborhoods, read books and magazines at my leisure, and did some things around the house that needed to be done. If you ask me, I think sometimes we need a power outage...Kyle and I realized how dependent we were one electricity and electronics. To me, I was shocked...I grew up playing outside, rolling in the dirt (yes! I was a sand box baby!!), riding bikes, etc...We owned a Nintendo but I rarely played it. Shooting birds and playing Mario really wasn't my thing. We did both agree on our need to connection to the outside world was to keep up with what had happened after the storm and what was going on in Tuscaloosa. Without a natural disaster sitting on our doorstep, we would have been okay with no power for a few days.



So the story of the power...We live within walking distance to a very LARGE Huntsville Utilities substation...so in order to restore the power to the rest of Huntsville, the restored power to the very SMALL area around the substation...thus...power at 2:30 in the morning Friday. How it went down...We left the bedroom light on so if the power were to come on in the middle of the night, we'd know. Well Kyle woke up first screaming "Power! Power! POWER!" and then I (who will sleep through the coming of Christ and just wake up on the side) was like "POWER!! POWER!!" after being shoved awake by Kyle. We laid there for just a few minutes thinking this was just a fluke...it was a flash and would be off again within minutes. Five minutes in, we walked outside to see who else had power...just seeing it was out street and the street behind us, we quickly plugged everything back up and went back to bed. Giddy as little kids on Christmas. We woke up about 6:30 (because when you go to bed at 8:00, that's just what time your body wakes up- Redic!) and still had power! We were shocked. So we called Kyle's parents and told them to come pick up our generator! We didn't need it anymore. Needless to say, many people were able to shower, do laundry, make use of our freezer and just enjoy our lights thanks to living as close as we do to a substation. So it was nice.



But when the lights go out, you have to get creative. Wednesday night I didn't eat dinner because I was too upset by what had happened in Harvest and Tuscaloosa. By Thursday, I had found my appetite again.



We enjoyed a cute little candle light dinner. Pretty romantic if you ask me…


Despite regaining power on Friday moring, we grilled and grilled and grilled some more. We ate pretty good out of the freezer!

We were out looking for gas on Friday and decided stop and see what the fuss was about at Waffle House. So this was the special, eggs any style, hashbrowns, and white bread...yum. And you washed it down with luke-warm water. Totally an experience.

Between the card games, Scrabble demonation, book and sunshine, I think we managed just fine powerless.



No comments:

Post a Comment